Friday, December 26, 2008

Molly's thoughts about death and the afterlife, part three...

Molly worked for many years as either a dental assistant or as an oral surgeon's assistant. Even though she enjoyed this work greatly, she seemed to have found her niche in teaching children. In her paper on Tuesdays with Morrie, she gives us a clue as to how she may have come to have such a love for teaching and for reaching out to the children in her classes:
"We all can look back through our lives and remember the teachers who made a difference in our lives and helped us become our best selves or who noticed us enough to let us know how important we were to them. My fifth grade teacher, for one, in North Carolina, Mrs. Pettis. She was a short rounded black woman with a smile for every one. I can't exactly remember what she did to make me feel special. I just know that she did. That feeling has stayed with me since that time."
Molly wished to touch the hearts of the children in her classes in a similar fashion. The children she taught brought her great joy and I can't help but think that she continues to be interested in them and wishing for their success in school and life.

No comments: